Complex Commercial and Civil Litigation, Probate & Trust Litigation & Mediation
Norman’s practice involves complex commercial and civil litigation including, but not limited to – probate and trust litigation, construction claims and issues, real estate disputes and general business transaction litigation. His practice also includes appellate presentations before the District Courts of Appeal, as well as governmental agencies.
His practice philosophy embraces the thorough evaluation of a client’s position, including the strengths and weaknesses, counseling and negotiation of non-litigated settlements where possible, and the vigorous pursuit and/or defense of a client’s interests in all courts of law in the State of Florida and the United States Federal Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Norman has been a resident of Florida since 1950, when his family moved to Coral Gables, Florida. He attended the University of Florida where he received his Bachelor of Science in Journalism. He graduated from Stetson University College of Law with a Juris Doctor. He has been given a “AV” rating by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating, and has been selected previously by both Florida Trend Magazine as a “Legal Elite,” and by the publishers of Law and Politics as a “Super Lawyer.” Both designations are the result of polls by the respective publications of members of The Florida Bar seeking the nominations of lawyers who are considered outstanding in their respective fields by their peers. Mr. Vaughan-Birch’s honors have been in Commercial Litigation Law.
Memberships and Community Involvement
- Member of The Florida Bar since 1969
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar in civil litigation and business litigation and was in the charter group of each certification area (1983 and 1996 respectively). Only Board Certified lawyers may hold themselves out as “experts” in their field.
- Member of the Trial Lawyers Section of The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
- Currently serves as liaison to the Trial Lawyers Section Executive Committee, a 22 person board which sets, maintains and implements policy for over 6,000 members of the Trial Lawyers Section of the Florida Bar
- Elected representative from the Twelfth Judicial Circuit (Sarasota, Manatee and DeSoto Counties) of the Florida Bar Board of Governors. The Board of Governors establishes policies and procedures for The Florida Bar and its approximate 93,000 members. Previously he served as a member of the Young Lawyers Section Board of Governors.
- Past chair of the Florida Law Network, a 13 law firm network with members located from Pensacola to the Florida Keys.
Norman Vaughan-Birch is certified by The Florida Supreme Court and the Federal Court as a Civil Mediator and Arbitrator. His mediation and arbitration practice is concurrent to his trial practice. He has authored and published articles for various legal journals and newsletters. He is a lecturer at Bar Association meetings and seminars. He has been an instructor and lecturer at various trial training seminars in the State of Florida.